Are you sure about Tchaik?  All the scores I have at hand (Sym. 4,5,6, Romeo
and Juliet, Capriccio Italien) have 1st and 2nd trombones in tenor clef, 3rd
in bass clef.  Of course, the parts could be different.

Odd bit of info about Shostakovich, if true (I can verify his scores are as
you say).  They had access to most scores, even contemporary Western ones.
Strange.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com