could find an economical method of printing larger scores and parts, say 9x12, but the laser printing world only seems to go to 11x17, and the larger
formats are inkjet and therefore less stable on the page.

My Canon (inexpensive) office/photo printer (i860) has pigment black ink for text (and music) work and dye photo black and color for photos and other color work. Archival studies have shown pigment inks to be very stable. They will last as long as a laser. If your using a pigment ink, you should be more concerned about the life of the paper than the ink. Most of the Epson printers also use pigment ink.

I know this is where I differ from most of the folks on this list but I LIKE the way a good ink jet printer prints parts. The ink settles down into the paper like a piece printed with a press and looks great. Laser prints seem to float on top of the paper which I don't like (I think it looks too modern for me :) ). Large scores on smaller paper are a different matter. The reduced size of the music seems to reduce the resolution past the point of acceptability with an ink jet.

I don't care for 11x17 (too long for the stand) or legal size scores (not much of an improvement over letter size). I do like 11x14 paper for scores.

Since my music is sold with a license to copy, I provide letter size parts. If you have longer works, want the music printed a little bigger, or want to discourage copying, you might prefer 9x12 for parts (11x14 is a little unmanageable on a player's stand). If you want to print parts 2-up or as booklets, many of the better ink jets will print on paper that is 13 x 19 (with pigment ink) and you could order paper from a supplier rather than buy it at an office supply. It is true that most ink jets cost more to operate than lasers.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

begin:vcard