> I was puzzling over a notational problem I had regarding artificial
> and natural harmonics notation on a stringed instrument.
>
> I have a section in a piece I'm writing where the violin soloist
> plays a series of artificial harmonics (P4 above). When the passage
> comes to an open string, I've usually thought of those notes as being
> natural harmonics. The thing is that the traditional notation for
> natural harmonics looks odd and jumps out at you.
>
> Should I carry on with the artificial harmonics notation (a note and
> a diamond a P4th above) or should I mix the two kinds of harmonics
> notation? [Let's assume the player is using an open string and not a
> fingered version of the same note.]
>
> I appeal to the wisdom of the list.
>
> -Randolph Peters

I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional notation for natural harmonics".
Let's say we're talking about, for example, the natural harmonic at A a
fourth above the open E, sounding two octaves above the open E.  That could
be notated three ways: 1) at the sounding pitch with a small circle above it
(the "traditional" natural harmonic notation, though it is not unambiguous
and might likely be played up high on the E string); 2) with an open diamond
notehead at the A where the finger lightly touches the string; or 3) a
diamond on the A plus a note of the proper rhythmic duration on the E (the
standard for artificial harmonics).  I would definitely use the last
mentioned method, as it leaves the least room for doubt as to what you want.
The second method cannot distinguish between, say, quarter and half notes,
and the first method is too ambiguous and will look awkward among a series
of artificial harmonics. Granted, using the recommended method could result
in the note being played as an artificial harmonic on the A string (or even
D), but if it's that important, you can always add a "sul E" or just "I"
(Roman numeral one).  Besides, in some contexts it may be advantageous to
playing it as an artificial harmonic, as this would allow vibrato
(impossible on a natural harmonic).

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com