I've had similar problems not charging enough for my work and being shy about the money issue. Perhaps I don't consider myself experienced enough for the "pro" rates, even though I've been working in Finale for over 10 years. My problem is a lack of clients and the connections to find them. So, I end up charging relatively little, so as not to turn someone off, happy with the little work I actually do get. They are mostly students who can't afford much, so I even have a lower student rate of only $20/hr. This is in NYC! My reasoning is that either I get a little work for less and the possibility to attract more clients, or I might end up with nothing at all.

I tried the per/frame system, even adding an item-per-frame element, but it didn't end up working for me. I tried it on one job, and ended up getting only around $150 on a short but complex work that took around 30 hours.

I hope to get some better ideas, like how to be assertive when the client's parents imply that $300 is too much for a 3 movement chamber piece at $20 per hour. Perhaps MM can develop a Business Sense Plug- In? It would be more useful than many of the plug-ins they've added recently. :-)