On 1 Oct 2006 at 10:03, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > As to current problems, what about repairing permissions? That's a
> > specifically OS X problem that is ridiculous from the point of view
> > of a reliable security system, one that NT-based Windows has had for
> > quite a long, long time (over 15 years).
>
> I'll take repairing permissions (which is a cron job that most unix
> systems run weekly as well) over the virus/security hole of the
> day/week that Microsoft has any day.

What are you talking about? I and my clients have not had a virus or
worm for years. Of course, we don't use Microsoft's brower or email
clients, but that's been a no-brainer for a decade for email clients
(since they have always been substandard for Internet email), and for
the last 5 years or so for the browser (since Mozilla started being
usable c. 2001).

I don't even have full-time virus monitoring on my home PC and have
not had for nearly 10 years, and haven't had a single virus/worm.
Part of that is due to proper firewalling, which many Windows user
were not aware of, but which nowadays they get by default (with WinXP
SP2, and with most broadband services providing NAT routers in their
cable/DSL modems), the other part is due to sensible choice of email
clients (ones that don't auto-execute content). I do have AVG's free
AV program installed, but rarely have to use it.

People who have problems with viruses are probably not using up-to-
date versions of Windows or sensible Internet connection procedures.

Last of all, damaged permissions are pretty serious. There is no
reason that aan OS should stop properly-designed security system
should have its ACLs damaged (or changed) on a regular basis.
Something is wrong with the design of OS X's security subsystem if it
has to be constantly repaired.