At 9:24 PM -0700 10/15/06, Mark D Lew wrote:

I think I've cited this sample before, but a page on Recordare's site <http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/recordare/SullPina02Sample.pdf> shows a good example of the tug-of-war between lyrics and music. It's a recitative from a Gilbert & Sullivan song. Because of the layout, stretching the recit to a third system is impractical, so by necessity it is somewhat tight but not impossibly tight. In the sample, the music and the lyrics are each slightly distorted from their ideal, but each is close enough to be comfortable. Looking at the page it seems unremarkable, and you might never guess how much tweaking was necessary to get to that point. But try setting the same passage from scratch and you'll see.

I can't imagine it looking any better, and the lyrics are very clean and easy to read. (And THANK you for ignoring the old-fashioned refusal to use beams; makes it SO much easier to read!)

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music