On 6 Feb 2007 at 12:43, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:46 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> > Timer servers have to supply time-zone agnostic
> > time signals, which means they can't include settings for daylight
> > savings and the like, because different regions in different time
> > zones have different rules for when (and if) they enter DST. It
> > *has* to be a local set of rules.
>
> Apparently the only exceptions now are 1) Hawaii and 2) the Navaho
> nation.

I believe Indiana's legislature voted to stop their strange situation
(they are so close to Central Time that they didn't go to DST, so,
basically the result was that they stayed on the same Eastern Time
clock, which means as a result flipped back and forth between having
the same time as Central Time and the same as Eastern Time). That's
the only weird one I know about.

> I don't know how time-servers handle these,

I don't know that time servers are *supposed* to handle them. My
understanding is that local time is up to local computers to
calculate as an offset from GMT.

> but according  to
> the article on this topic in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few days ago,
> devices that rely on time-servers *will* in fact be automatically
> adjusted to accomodate the new DST regime. The main  problem will be
> with older computers that cannot read time servers.

Well, not doubting what you read, but can you give a URL for the
article? It doesn't align with what I understand about time servers
(which may very well be completely erroneous).