At 2:15 PM -0400 5/1/07, timothy.key.price wrote:
If there are some on this list who might offer some advice, I have a question: A section of amorphous music for stings is now in 12/8 time at 1/8-50 which is verrrrry slow and no beat is stressed. As each of the many voice lines moves on a different beat, the 12/8 allows for this type of writing, however, I have no idea how it would be conducted. A similar example might be the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 6th, although his repeated string patterns lend it structural definition: he consistently divides the measure into 4 pulses. Is 12/8 a problem? is it usually conducted in 3 sets of 4/8 per measure? or 4 sets of 3/8, or 2 sets of 6/8? or all of the above are possible. Or should I rewrite it and absolutely choose another meter and increase the note value? Help/ lost.

Thank you in advance,

You've had some awfully good advice. I'd just like to ask why you're curious about how to conduct it? Any first-semester conducting student could answer the question.

And do pay attention to David Fenton's comments. The meter chosen should fit the music. If it's in 12, then 12/8 is appropriate. If it's some kind of mixed meter, it might not be.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music