YEAH ... somehow, I knew Chuck would know. Wonder if he's still alive and performing. Last time I saw him, I think, was at the Monterey Festival ... decades ago.

Dean

On May 3, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Chuck Israels wrote:

On May 3, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

Who was that jazz tpt. player, prominent back in the late sixties, who used to do charts with meters like 87/4, etc? I think his first name was Don .....

Ellis.

Chuck

Dean

On May 2, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David W. Fenton
Sent: 02 May 2007 22:43
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Conducting in 12/8

On 2 May 2007 at 17:04, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On May 2, 2007, at 2:41 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I don't believe there is such a meter as 12 8ths to the
measure. We
have a meter called 12/8, but it's in 4, and notating in
that meter
implies certain things about the music. If those implications are
inappropriate for the music you're writing, then don't
use a meter
that implies that.

That's a little too rigid. I can easily imagine a contemporary
composer wishing to group, say, 3+2+3+4 eighth notes into a single
measure.

But that's not TWELVE BEATS -- it's 4 beats of varying duration.

If the context included constantly changing meters, all
with 8 on the
bottom, then a measure of 12/8 would not, IMO,
automatically imply 4
dotted Q to any educated musician.

Beaming can take care of a lot of this, yes.

But what was described in the post was 12 undifferentiated beats. At
least, that was my understanding.

And I say that such a thing does not exist in music played (or
perceived) by human beings.

--
David W. Fenton

Damn. I thought the bar before the Glorifcation de L'Eule in the Rite was thirteen, but I checked the score and it's in fact eleven. So maybe
twelve is the absolute cut-off beyond which we can't conceive or
perceive of non-emphasised beats. (Wait, I just did perceive them in my
faulty memory, didn't I? ;) )

And maybe the What Would Igor Do rule is actually the one to follow - changing ever bar between 3/8, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8 could indeed preserve the
fliudity of rhythm which seems to be required in this particular
situation.

Dean M. Estabrook
http://deanestabrook.googlepages.com/home

Of all hoaxes, the one which is my most vexing bĂȘte noire on a quotidian basis, is the cereal box top which informs simply, "Lift Tab to Open." Then, "To Close, Insert Tab Here ." Yeah, right! In attempting to accomplish the first direction, not only the tab but also the slit intended to accept the aforementioned protuberance have both been irreparably disfigured and rendered dysfunctional. This debacle is then amplified by the misbehavior of the recalcitrant inner bag, which can not be unsealed sans mangling it, and hence, will not disperse its contents without exiting the box itself. All I wanted was a bowl of cereal.

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836
phone (360) 671-3402