Perhaps, perhaps not.    Liszt himself described Gottschalk as the Alcibiades
of the Piano and Gottschalk was also called - routinely - the American Chopin.
  The performing Gottschalk was known as a "concert pianist" - not as anything
less; I think rather than describing him as a pop musician of his day, he was
probably a little more accurately the 19th-century equivalent of a crossover
musician.    His music, while structurally  for the most part quite simple,
certainly is as demanding as Schumann; the fact that he was swarmed and swooned
over is really not his own fault.     I think he was integral in popularizing
an aspect of what truly must be thought of as 'classical' music; is he today
thought of as a pop composer or a 'classical' one?    While his music lacks the
depth of - oh, say, any number of DWM composers, I feel the only real claim to
his being described as a popular musician was simply in the fact that he
popularIZED piano concerts.

Jenny Lind - oh, come on!    Royal Swedish Opera for years, Agathe in
Freischutz, Alice in Robert le Diable, so many other roles; association with
Mendelssohn, her great love of Bach and performance of so many of his oratorios
- the fact that PT Barnum wildly promoted her in her 93 (count 'em) American
concerts doesn't mean she was a popular performer in our current sense of that
adjective; she was popularizing classical music on her American tour!    Her
rep on those concerts was eclectic (with German conductor/composer Julius
Benedict and Italian baritone Giovanni Belletti as demanded by Lind), but
contained (besides American popular songs,) opera arias and other 'classical'
rep as selected by Lind - who was proud of her standing as a serious artist.
Does the fact that popular-entertainment maven Barnum produced her concerts
make them pop concerts?    Nope.   Again: she was popularizing eclectic
repertoire - with emphasis on her serious 'classical' training.    A crossover
artist, perhaps, but a popular entertainer - in the way we use that term today?
   No.    A classically-trained, classical artist performing an eclectic rep to
throngs - and introducing many 19th century Americans to classical music in the
process.

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html