On Jun 23, 2007, at 5:56 PM, John Howell wrote:

And yes, I agree with whoever said that active performance practice is going to differ from what's taught in "Jazz Studies" courses, which seem to me mostly to concentrate on the ritual adoration of the be-boppers complete with transcriptions and imitations. (If I'm wrong, tell me so, but isn't that the whole Berklee approach?)

I have to jump in here in defense of a common educational tool in jazz.

I don't know about Berklee, but understanding the "common practice era" of jazz (basically everything post Swing-era and pre-fusion) is as important to jazz studies as understanding the common-practice era of classical music is to general music studies. Most of what is played today in modern styles grew from bebop, and it is essential to understanding jazz as an idiom.

Transcription and imitation develop the ear to a high level, and by ear is the way jazz is acquired. Granted, if one stops after transcription and imitation and never goes on, this is not going to develop an original voice in the player. It is only a start, but an admirable one. The idea is that is if one has chosen a number of good and representative performances from various styles and studied and reproduced them in great depth, then one can glean lessons in performance practice from these works. One may not play exactly this way out in the trenches, but at that point you are expected to have gotten far enough ahead to make your own decisions, and not be a Bird or Sonny clone.

Performance practice as a concept is much more important in jazz than in classical music, as far as I can make out, and furthermore is much more prescribed than the average non-jazz musician seems to think. As a chess player, I liken it to memorizing and analysing great games by Capablanca, Fischer or Spassky. There are a limited number of ways certain things can be accomplished.

What you call the "ritual adoration" of beboppers is no different than the study of the accepted canon of classical masters. It's a base, and a darn good one to start out with.

Christopher