If You want to place several text lines (verses) under the same staff (melody line) you have to put the text for each verse in it's own verse (in the lyrics edit window), otherwise all the textlines will be placed in the same position.

So conclusion is text belonging to the same verse will always (at least in scroll edit) be written in on the same line.