At 8:52 AM -0400 8/3/07, Martin Banner wrote:
I am preparing a modern performing edition of an 18th Century sacred Latin piece for chorus and orchestra, including continuo. As I am preparing the keyboard realization of the figured bass, I think back to the continuo keyboard parts I have played from (mostly European publications, Baerenreiter, Breitkopf, etc), where the naming of the part is "Cembalo". For an edition such as mine that will be published here in the US, what would be an appropriate substitute term in English to use in place of Cembalo. "Keyboard" is the first thing that comes to mind, but is there something clearer than that to indicate that this is the keyboard realization of the continuo figured bass?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

I assume that you are realizing the bass in order to provide a continuo part. Since a realization is always done with a specific instrument in mind but still needs to be flexible, I would suggest specifying "Piano" (if that is your intention, but I would certainly not use your edition in that case); "Harpsichord," "Organ," or some combination like "Harpsichord or Organ." I agree that using "Cembalo" just because it's used in German publications makes no sense in a non-German publication, much like using "Partitur" instead of "Full Score."

And be aware (as you no doubt already are) that players capable of realizing the figures themselves really hate having someone else's realization in front of them, while inexperienced players (including many students) do need something that lies within their technique. It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone!

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music