On 6 Aug 2007 at 15:13, John Howell wrote:

> And be aware (as you no doubt already are) that players capable of
> realizing the figures themselves really hate having someone else's
> realization in front of them, while inexperienced players (including
> many students) do need something that lies within their technique.
> It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone!

In an ideal world, there would be a score with the realization and a
score without it. In the real world, you don't have that luxury, so
instead, you provide two copies of the bass part, one with figures
(for the keyboardist), one without (for the bass player). Of course,
I'm contrary, and when I'm playing the continuo bass on gamba, I want
the figures, because they tell me things about phrasing and dynamics
(a 6 chord will very often be helped with a swell/crescendo).

Another thing I've done in editions I've prepared for the NYU
Collegium (when I wasn't playing keyboard) is to do a short score for
the continuo player, with one melodic line and the figured bass, with
indications of what part the melodic line comes from.

For single voice/instrument and continuo, the continuo player will be
happy with the "full score," i.e., the voice/instrument part with the
figured bass line.

In writing realizations, I try to keep it as simple as possible,
since the only players who will read my realization are those who
don't know how to do a realization. My philosophy is that most
realizations have way too much going on in them, and that the
realization should reinforce the bass rhythm (and hardly ever
contradict or augment it). I also try to limit the number of voices
in the realization, and adapt the number of voices to the dynamic
level of each passage. This is something that, strangely enough,
seems not to be taught to many continuo players.

Also, a continuo realization reallly does have to be for a particular
instrument. Harpsichord continuo is a different animal than orga,
because you can use more notes in the harpsichord part without
overpowering because of the decay. But on organ, there is no decay,
so you have to use fewer notes. For a general-use realization, I'll
always write more for organ, on the assumption that harpsichordists
will add doublings (if they pay attention to my realization at all).

If you're not a keyboard player, I'd recommend a 2- or 3-voice
realization that slavishly follows the rhythm of the bass and
figures. I don't think you can go wrong with the simplest possible
realization.

On the other hand, in fast passages, you need to consider when you
ignore figures. In a lot of cases, there is no reason whatsoever to
play all the passing harmonies, except when they are not found in any
other parts. Also, it's important to recognize when you're working
from a source with "synthetic" figures, such as a lot of the 19th-
century German editions, which added figures to the bass line that
replicate every single passing tone in the parts above (Buxtehude
editions from the period exhibit this problem). The original figures
very often were quite a bit more sparse.

Anyway, I"ll stop babbling now... :)