At 06:43 AM 8/23/2007 -0600, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
>that the word "probably" may be overstating the case. Items copyrighted
>in the U.S. after 1923, and before a date in the mid 1960's (If I
>remember correctly, and I don't have time at the moment to be sure that
>I do) were copyrighted for a term of 28 years, and then, for the
>copyright to remain in force, had to be renewed.  The copyright office
>has reported that of all of the copyrights which required renewal, half
>were never renewed, and these items are in the public domain.

The 1994 law included "restored copyright" for many works
in the public domain. It's a minefield for composers.

This article has good information:
http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=4576

If you can stand it, check out 104A, copyright in restored works...
<http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000104---A000-.html>
...especially (a)(1)(A) and (B) and (h)(6)(C)(i)

Dennis