Hi, David.
The confusion was probably caused by my not putting quotation
marks around the material I was citing, though I said I was quoting
from an online text. What you refer to comes from those three
paragraphs quoted from a good summary article written by a lawyer at:
http://www.copylaw.com/new_articles/PublicDomain.html
Come to think of it, why would anyone would be baffled by
anything Congress does? (grin)
Cheers.
Marilyn
-----------------------
Forwarded Message
From: "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:15:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [Finale] OT permission to set poems
Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer ]
MB wrote:
[snip]> In 1992, Congress enacted a law that made renewal automatic for
works
> published between 1964 and 1978. However, if a work was published
[snip]
This baffles me, since the 1978 rewrite of the U.S. Copyright law
automatically extended the term for works which were then in their
first
or second copyright term to be a total of 75 years. so anything
copyrighted after 1964 was still in its first copyright term and was
thus automatically extended.
So why would Congress have needed to pass an additional law to extend
those terms? I realize that an additional 20 years was added on, but
there was no need for a legislated automatic renewal since the 1978 act
had already done that.
Or did I misunderstand something?
--
David H. Bailey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
____________________________________________________________________________________
Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale