On Aug 24, 2007, at 7:26 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:

When playing works of the early and mid-nineteenth century, historical modern performances can and should try to reproduce the instrumentation of the time, and some colleges and whatever pro performances occur, will do that, time to time.

But the tradition of band music, (the changing personnel on these recordings even gives us a hint), is pretty much 'whoever shows up gets to play',

There are also national variations, as I found to my surprise when presented with a piece scored for the standard Maltese band of today, which is so different from the American one that I felt compelled to add this note to the instrumentation page:

This piece is scored for a standard Maltese band. With the composer’s approval, additional parts for the full complement of an American concert band are included among the performance materials.

Conductors wishing to play this piece with the forces for which it was conceived should use approximately the following numbers of players: 1+1 flutes, 2 E≤ clarinets, 12+10 B≤ clarinets, 2 alto sax, 2 tenor sax, 6+5 trumpets, 1+1+1 horns, 1+1+1 trombones, 6 baritones, 6 euphoniums, 6 tubas, 1+1+1 percussion.

In Malta, the baritone horn is known as “alto horn in B≤.” To avoid confusion, we have adopted the more familiar terminology for this publication.

The extra parts I added were for piccolo, 2 oboes, 2 bassoons, alto and bass clarinets, baritone saxophone, and 4 horns in F. The low WW and 4th horn would hopefully make up for the lack of massed baritones and euphoniums in an American band. The picc. reinforces the EbCl; I forget what I did w. the oboes. The extra instruments appear as parts only; they are not cued in the score.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to