On 18-Sep-07, at 9:08 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 8:44 PM -0400 9/18/07, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Adam Taylor wrote:

I've seen discussions on this list about binding of score and parts, as well as printing of parts. I was just wondering what weight of paper people here think is the best for printing score and parts for a concert band work. Regular paper just feels too light for me.

You are right to think that regular paper is too thin. It falls down too easily and doesn't last long in folders of music that are played often.

I have settled on some paper that I ordered specially in conjunction with a local orchestra librarian. It is 70 lb./140M cream colour, smooth finish. I read off the label another number that I think is just another way of describing the thickness, that is 13.75M, or 104g per square metre.

I saved the site below last time this question came up. Be aware that in the U.S. there are two different sets of "weight" names. 28- lb Bond, according to this chart, equals 70-lb Offset.

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

Ah, I see. So my recommendation of 70 lb offset was exactly in agreement with others' recommendations of 28 lb bond.

Maybe referring to grams per square metre is the best way to talk about paper thickness, to avoid all the problems with different standards (sorry to Imperial-using countries like USA and, umm, what other countries are not metric yet?)

I should have known this, as I remember seeing it before on this list. I kept the link this time.

Christopher