I have been a Finale user since Version 1 - my serial number is under 000650. I actually attended a hotel room demo by Phil Farrand at NAMM 1988, before the program was released. So I'm a Finale geezer.

I run a small publishing company specializing in young band music - we have a catalog of about 80 concert and jazz band pieces, all done in Finale. Our pieces tend to be fairly short - parts are usually one page, sometimes two - and we require only traditional notation capabilities.

I have faithfully upgraded each year, but Finale 2007 and 2008 are sitting unused on my hard drive - I use 2006D for everyday work. My brief explorations of 2007 and 2008, and particularly my reading about the problems documented on this list, have kept me away from them. So count me as another user who is done with being a willing participant in the "yearly subscription fee" model.

Bottom line is, Finale 2006 does pretty well everything I require. I always thought linked parts would be nice, but I've tried to work with the implementation in 2007 and 2008 a bit, and always decided it wasn't worth it. I find the part extraction process works just fine for me, and our pieces are simple enough that corrections can be done very quickly. I am still dazzled by the "modern" speed of part extraction, since I suffered through early versions where you would leave it to extract parts when you went to bed, and they might be done by morning.

Better organization of menus is of little appeal to someone who knows the "old" organization thoroughly.

When I am composing, I find that the built in (and quick loading) soundfont is adequate to give me an idea of how things are sounding. When it comes time to make a demo, I export a midi file (with Human Playback) to a sequencer, in my case Digital Performer. That is where I use Garritan Concert Band, Garritan Jazz, Virtual Drumline, and a marvelous new brass library called WIVI from Wallender Instruments. This setup gives me editing and processing capabilities I would never expect to find, or ask for, in a notation program.

I have given Finale courses and have recommended the program to many people, but I too find myself now suggesting Sibelius to people who have modest needs and want something that will work well out of the box. I have dabbled a bit with Sibelius myself and have version 5, but I am a long time Finale Speedy Entry user, and have yet to develop any real skill (compared to my Finale abilities) at entering music in Sibelius, or figuring out how to get the formatting I want. And then there's my back catalog of Finale files, which I need to be able to open.

At some point in the future I'm going to want an Intel Mac running the latest version of OSX, and then the whole thing's going to blow up on me - I'll probably have to tuck my old computers in a corner to run Finale archives, and then evaluate the versions of Finale and Sibelius that are out at that time. The way things are going, I can't escape the feeling that's likely to be Sibelius - particularly if they were to add a "legacy Finale users" option to their interface.

Brian Appleby
ApRo Music
apromusic.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada