On 01 Nov 2007, at 11:11 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

I have a client who has a strong preference for Poco rit. over Rit. poco. He has also consulted with a friend who is a native Italian speaker, who says that the passage quoted above is incorrect -- that Poco rit. is the correct Italian word order.

I'm curious as to what the native Italian speakers on this list say.

I think your client and his Italian friend are absolutely right. To me, "poco rit" sounds completely natural and "rit poco" sounds weird and awkward. I'm not a native speaker, but I'm moderately familiar with Italian and I see absolutely nothing wrong with "un poco ritardando".

But isn't the instruction actually an imperative, rather than a noun phrase? The English instruction wouldn't be "a little slowing down" -- it would be "slow down a little."

More to the point, I've studied dozens of Italian opera scores over the years -- scores written, edited, and published by Italians -- and they use "poco rit." all the time.

Yes, I agree that obviously "poco rit." is vastly more common.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to