On Nov 3, 2007, at 5:06 PM, dc wrote:

I'm doing a multi-movement piece in one file, spacing and laying out the movements as I go along. And now, all of a sudden, piece #5 won't space correctly at all, and I haven't changed anything. The notes are at least twice as tight as they should be.

Any ideas what I could have done wrong? I checked the Music spacing options, and nothing seems to have changed.


I doubt you have done anything wrong. I have seen this before, and it appears to be file corruption. It probably starts around where the 5th movement starts, though you could probably pin it down closer if you had to. Funny things start to happen, like bad spacing, ties start acting wonky, you can't delete measure contents, stems aren't connected to noteheads anymore, that kind of thing.

You could try adding measures to the end of the document, copying the contents of movement 5 to the later measures, then deleting the corrupted measures. I don't know if this will solve it, though, because this kind of corruption is usually additive; it starts at bar 60 (say) and goes to the end, whether you add new measures or not. Try also copying your 5th movement to a new document temporarily, deleting the corrupted measures from your work document, then adding new fresh measures and then copying your 5th movement back into your file. This might not work either, though. You might have to resort to copying the entire contents of the file to a new document, which means that you lose all that formatting work (unless you only print to the end of movement 4, then movement 5 starts a new document.)

I would definitely send this file on to tech support. I have done so every time I see corruption, so they know it is happening. They always say they can't reproduce the problem with a fresh document, but that's kind of the point with file corruption; it just happens once in a while. They might be prodded into creating some new file maintenance routines to fix this kind of thing when it crops up, instead of us losing hours or days of work.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in.

Christopher



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to