Friends,

Responding to my observation about the sizes of updaters for WINFIN since 2k, Barbara asked

Does that indicate that there are more and more bugs they have fixed?

and Jari asked

So, what you show here is that a Finale updater is always between 1.5-8 MB and the rest is dependent on whether updates to documentation/sound/etc are bundled or not?
I don't have any information about the number of bugs, or the complexity of patches needed to resolve each one, and how much involved changes to sound or documentation modules; my aim here is only to point out the increase in the file size of the Windows updaters, which since 2k5 have about doubled each year. I don't intend this as anything but raw data of some interest, which needs further evaluation and analysis before it can be used as the base of any substantive conclusions.

Except, perhaps for one. Since I am still on download (and I realize that I am one of perhaps a dozen and a half people for whom this is the case), I was not able in seven attempts to successfully download the 2k8 updater; the download aborted unsuccessfully each time. Now, I know that there are various file download management routines which can be used to deal with the issue, and I can use one of these, but I do think, in view of the increasing file size of updaters that it is appropriate that MakeMusic either review their decision to discontinue offering updaters on CD (made in 2k5), or to offer updaters in smaller pieces. For example, I notice from the readme that certain aspects of the updater involve saving of sound files, which I won't use; I'd have preferred to be able to omit downloading these parts.

[NB: I have already made arrangements to obtain the updater from someone else who has a faster connection than my 56K dial-up, and I expect in the near future, that I, too, will be dragged, if not kicking and screaming, then still with no great joy and exuberance, into the realm of high-speed internet connection.

ns
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to