On 12 Dec 2007 at 18:48, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> For 
> example, I notice from the readme that certain aspects of the updater 
> involve saving of sound files, which I won't use; I'd have preferred to 
> be able to omit downloading these parts.

Several observations:

1. the size of the updater doesn't mean much unless you provide the 
size of the corresponding Finale.exe. My bet is that as Finale.exe 
got bigger, the updaters for Finale got bigger.

2. there are two methods of patching a program:

  a. replace it with a new version, OR

  b. write a program that rewrites the old version's files, including 
internally rewriting binary data.

It's substantially more difficult to do b), except when you are 
dealing with external files (such as DLLs or configuration files). A 
monolithic EXE file is very hard to patch properly by this method.

Dividing up the updater into fixes for the things you use would 
vastly increase the amount of time it would take to create and test 
the updater before releasing it to users.

-- 
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates       http://dfenton.com/DFA/


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to