Christopher Smith wrote:

On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

Some even suggest that the concept of the album is pretty much dead.

Oh, I forgot to add:

In the case of jazz albums, some of the most accurate and well-written jazz scholarship appears (appeared?) on album covers. Reducing these albums to collections of mp3's reduces their value considerably for the usual well-informed jazz listener who considers the reading almost as important as the listening! Personnel lists, dates, producer notes, technical notes; all these are invaluable information that is largely lost to the mp3 generation.

Christopher has brought up a very important point -- I have especially enjoyed the CD reissues where all the original liner notes were included along with newly written material which incorporates more recent research and knowledge.

Of course, to some extent (if one can filter the 90% of crap that we always have to wade through) those liner notes have been replaced by fan web-sites where a lot of the knowledge which used to be available in the liner notes is still available (along with new knowledge). But it takes an extra effort (or two) to find that information which used to be included for the price of the recording.

And those liner notes would serve as terrific advertising for other recordings -- I would often buy an LP and read the liner notes and think, "Wow, I really like that drumming style" (or piano style or sideman tenor sound or whatever) and then look for other LPs which had that person on them. Without knowing who's playing on any of the mp3 files I can buy online, those extra sales get lost unless or until I make the extra effort to try to find who all the personnel are on the files I enjoy.

--
David H. Bailey