On 3 Apr 2008, at 6:32 AM, dhbailey wrote:
Christopher Smith wrote:
On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:
All I am saying is that a works suitability for reinterpretation (whether its arranging, covering, remixing, making mashups, or something else entirely) bears absolutely no relation to its quality. Few people have tried to cover Coltrane's _A Love Supreme_, and those that have tried have all failed very badly, in my estimation.
Even Kenny Wheeler's version? It's pretty good, IMHO.
Though I completely agree with the sentiment.
Christopher

Then it's a pretty poor piece of music, if it depends more on the personality of the performer than the quality of the music.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

This is because, for me, the "piece of music" isn't the skeletal lead sheet outline -- the lyrics, melody line and chord changes. The "piece of music" IS the recording, and all the elements that go into it, including not just the performance and the work but the production, recording, mastering, etc.

If a record, as a complete work, succeeds, then it succeeds, and I don't care whether that's due to the "personality" of the performance or not. There's more than one way to make a good record.

Although honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of any records I care about that feature lackluster performances. As I have said before, I'd *much* rather listen to a scorching Elvis performance of even a mediocre song than a competent but uninspired recording of a Bach or Beethoven masterwork.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]