On 28 Mar 2008 at 19:25, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> I've been trying to hold my peace, here, but there seems to be a knee-
> jerk assumption amongst many here on the list that certain genres
> (including huge swaths of popular music) are inherently inferior,
> simply by virtue of being dissimilar to the genre of music one is most
> comfortable with.

Er, if you're attributing that belief to me, for instance (you did
reply to my post), then you'd be completely wrong.

For one, it's quite clear to me that there's been a sea change in
"popular music" in the last 20 years or so, with much more depth and
complexity than there was in the period when I was a kid.

I chose The Village People on purpose, because they were a commercial
band, i.e., created by the label (though from musicians who had their
own careers before), kind of like today's boy bands (ironically).
Their music is fun, but not complex. But is is very-well produced
(their backup musicians were some of the best, I understand), and
that was my point.