Spem in Alium (Tallis) is the correct answer. But I say planned because it's not progressing much and I don't have anyone to play it anyway.

Richard Smith

John Howell wrote:
There's only one that I know of, but I'm blanking on the composer. (Tallis? English, at least, and composed for eight 5-part choirs to be performed in a specific octagonal building. Acoustic surround sound!) I've never studied it, since I've never had the forces to attempt doing it! I do understand that another, even larger work has been recently rediscovered, but I can't remember that story either. There are, of course, polychoral pieces by both the Gabriellis (uncle and nephew) and Michael Praetorius that might have involved 40 performers, with 2 on a part, but no others written in 40 (more-or-less) individual parts.

John