At 6:58 PM -0400 9/7/08, Darcy James Argue wrote:
For the record: I have learned that Word 2008 fixes the longstanding problem with EPS on-screen. It also fixes the problem I was having with generating a PDF from a Word document that includes EPS graphics.

Cheers,

- Darcy

Good news for many people, no doubt, but please be warned that Word 2008 (for Mac) probably shares the same problem as Word 2007 (for Windows), in that it saves files in a new .docx format that cannot be opened in ANY PREVIOUS VERSION OF WORD. It also messes up some math stuff and/or symbols, but I haven't encountered that.

I discovered the problem a year ago, when students using new Windows computers started sending me homework files that I COULD NOT OPEN! I did track down a converter on the MS website, but it's a beta version and I hesitate to trust it. And in my research trying to figure out what had happened, I also discovered that a number of scholarly journals, for whom accuracy is extremely important, had flat out started refusing to accept manuscripts in the new .docx format.

Once again, Microsoft moves to take over the world, since we barely stopped them from taking over the Internet with their buggy Explorer and Outlook Express. But no backward compatibility is good marketing but very poor planning. Like Finale.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.