At 11:26 AM -0800 11/15/08, Dick Hauser wrote:
On Nov 15, 2008, at 9:47 AM, John Howell wrote:

I thought exponential dealt with powers of 10 or some such thing

It sounds to me like your remembering logarithm. In this context, exponential just means that the formula describing the line would have at least one exponent. Like Y equals something squared.

You're exactly right! Goes back to my years using a slide rule. (Anyone remember those?)

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.