On 18 Nov 2008 at 16:20, dc wrote:

> Eric Fiedler écrit:
> >To clarify my last post.
> >I had printed out David's PDFs and then just gave the printed pages
> >to Finale (File > Scanning: SSL ... with the scanner attached, of
> >course) The program does the rest. So David wouldn't even have to
> >generate PDFs before turning to Finale, he could just use the printed
> >editions he has.
>
> Well, to clarify mine, I thought David was using these PDFs. So it's much
> easier to feed directly these to Pdftomusic pro than to print them out,
> scan them, and then use SSL. Unless the purpose is specifically to test SSL.

I wasn't scanning anything. I generated the TIFFs I fed to SmartScore
from the PDF. I'm impressed that Eric's scanned printouts still
produced very few errors.

It's true that PDFToMusic is better in that it gets the text blocks,
but, frankly, I want to change the look of something I scan to match
my "house style" (I've got quite a back catalog of editions created
for my viol consort, in fact!), so I don't really mind losing the
text blocks so much.

Now, if there'd been more than one line with lyrics, that likely
would have been a different story -- with only the simple chorale
line having text, it was very, very easy to put it in myself.

But the $199 price for PDFToMusic is just too rich for me. I can't
even really afford the Finale upgrade right now, and that's a much
greater priority than PDF conversion software that costs $$$.