John Spicknall wrote:
I know from [non-jazz] friends on this list there is perhaps info
about entering chord notation here that is conventional jazz
notation--the kind of notation one might find in an Aebersold
play-a-long booklet.  My use of Finale is generally limited to jazz
lead sheets, transcriptions, stuff for students, non-complex
compositions and arrangements.

 I'd like to be able to indicate major chords with a triangle, major
minor 7th chords with a a triangle atop a straight line,  a major 6/9
chord with the 6 and 9 in vertical alignment, a half-diminished 7th
chord indicated by a circle with slanted line through it, etc. I am
still back in the stone-age use version 2003 or so.

Help!

It's just a matter of patience.

Lots and lots of patience.

Click on the Chord tool.

On the pull-down menu, select Manual Input.

Right-Click on the handle of the Chord you want to change. (In Windows - I'm not sure what the mac equivalent is).

Select "Edit Chord Definition".

In the Chord Definition dialog box, click on the "Edit" button at the bottom.

This brings up the Chord Suffix Editor.

Enter each symbol you want to use for your Chord Definition in the box at the upper right, then adjust the positioning and font and all that jazz, then click on the NEXT button to go on.

When satisfied, click OK.

A triangle over a straight line is easy to mistake in the usually bad light on a bandstand.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem