Thank you (and to others) that offered to send a test file. I've received
the following from MakeMusic:

Make music tech
"I looked over the file and it looks like it is damaged. To fix it, open the
file and go to the File menu >> MusicXML >> Export. Next, close the original
version of the file. Go back to the File menu >> MusicXML >> Import, select
the recently exported file and click Open. This should solve the error you
are receiving. Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any
further questions about this issue."

I did all of the above in 2010 and it does work. So, for the handful of new
files I recently started in 2009, this solves that issue. I can update my
templates the same way. In the past I've converted all my old files to the
most current version to keep everything up to date. However, this time the
task of exporting/importing/saving thousands of files may change my mind and
maybe I'll just keep 2008, 2009 & 2010 all running on the same system.
Hopefully that's not a problem. I'd like to know how so many files got
damaged (at least 20 far that I've tried to open have given me problems).

Thanks again,

James Gilbert
www.jamesgilbertmusic.com