John Howell wrote:
At 1:43 PM -0700 9/13/09, Carl Dershem wrote:

And of the drummers I work with, none like the "play 8 bars" style of drum part. They all consider it a way for lazy copyists and arrangers to get the point across.

Hmmm. I did that for years when I was hand copying, and still prefer it when the chart is reasonably straightforward. I'm perfectly capable of writing a complex drum part, but why bother when a decent drummer will play it better than I could write it?!!! Not laziness, just practicality. Of course you need to write an opening feel, either in words or notes. And of course you have to write in any stops, starts, or important fills, but you certainly DON'T need a page black with notes in most cases. (Too many books for Broadway shows ARE black with notes, crammed together and badly copied, and those are NOT an improvement nor do they guarantee better playing!)

John

It has its advantages, but the drummers I've worked with prefer:

in most cases. You don't have to (or really want to) put in too much data, as that just gets in the way of the drummer doing what he knows best anyway, but:

| --- 8 BARS TIME --- |

is too minimal for a lot of drummers.

When I was playing (and studying) with Louie Bellson, we talked about it a little bit, and he liked to pencil in things - kicks, feel, etc., where he felt they'd work, but where the arranger had just left space for time.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem