Dean, if you are using GPO and/or Human Playback, you may have to edit the playback window to "incorporate" the midi commands. HP may be ignoring them. If you can't find what I mean I'll dig in myself and get more location-specific.

I haven't tried setting velocities to zero in years, because, too often, those layers would STILL play, softly. I think this was pre-GPO, but I don't remember. I do remember it as fairly astounding to me that a setting of zero on a scale of one to 127 could result in _any_ sound.

For cues I usually use muted layers, or a post-playback parts-only score. Right now I am working on a full orch score with some muted layers and some hidden playback-only staves, to control some playback parameters that I can't quite get out of the notation alone. When I start adding cues for the parts, that will be a whole 'nother can o' wax and ball o' worms.

Raymond Horton