At 5:56 PM -0800 12/15/09, Ryan wrote:
Is the term "Bratschen" for violas obsolete in German? Would it be better to
use "Violen"?

If you like, I could ask on the OrchestraList. Or the ViolaList. I'm certainly not aware of any change from the traditional terminology, which is embedded in every German-published score I've ever seen, but there's no reason why I would be.

I would think that there might be confusion between the term for alto-tenor violin and that for viola da gamba if that change were made, but then there's already confusion with the term viol in English, which mean viola da gamba but could be taken to mean bass viol (i.e. string bass or double bass or bass violin).

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.