Right - thanks, it's the conversion to TIFF bit I was missing - I thought
you saying that I could just import my pdf's from IMSLP directly into
Smartscore.

I've just spent most of the afternoon on this and got absolutely nowhere.
The time would have been better spent typing the part into Finale by hand.

I've downloaded a pdf file from IMSLP, printed it to a new file using
PDF995.  I've downloaded PDF995Edit and clicked on the "convert last printed
document" after setting the output option to Tif12nc (which means absolutely
nothing to me - there is also Tif24nc and Tifg4, also meaningless to me.)
This seems to fail - it produces a file - "temp001" which does not seem to
contain an image.

When I try to import this into Finale, I get exactly the same message I got
when I first started this about six hours ago - it tells me I'm trying to
import a colour file, which I'm not (as far as I know)

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Thanks,

Lawrence
--