From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu [mailto:finale-boun...@shsu.edu] On Behalf Of
John Howell
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 5:53 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] repeats and endings

At 9:33 PM +0100 3/22/10, dc wrote:
>I have a piece with three endings, where 1 & 3 are identical. Is it
>kosher to put them both under the same bracket, say, with
>
>1. & 3.
>
>and then
>
>2.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dennis

I would say not, unless what follows 3 is exactly what follows 1.
The purpose of multiple endings is not only to accommodate open and
closed endings but to send you on your way to the next section or
back to a repeat mark.   When sightreading there is more potential
confusion in multiple endings if you actually have to READ what they
say instead of just advancing to the next one in line.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.