I seem to have fixed this - by removing some fonts from the root level and
putting them in the User library.  Finale seems to want some of them there.
Others were in the root level font folder, and I removed them from there (some
of these are fonts that are in use in Finale) and, even though I have removed
them from that font folder, they are now appearing correctly in Finale, but
they are not showing up in the User/library/font folder, so I don't know where
they are.  (I put them in a "removed fonts" folder on the desktop.)

I am not convinced that I have a handle on what is going on with fonts - where
they are stored, where they are supposed to be stored, why there are multiple
places for them to be stored and, how to get rid of the hundreds of fonts that
appear in my font list that I never use and never will use.

Anyway, it was indeed not an OS problem (although the update triggered it), and
it is, at least temporarily, under some control.

Thanks, Eric and Darcy.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace