The other issue is one of correction. If the beats are clearly delineated with
beams/ties, when you make a sight-reading mistake, it is easy to get back on
track on the next downbeat. If you have something like (in 4/4):

3 eighths beamed - dotted quarter - quarter tied over barline to... | flagged
eighth - 4 eighths beamed - dotted quarter

That style of notation might clearly communicate the 3+3+3+4+3 subdivisions in
the line's phrasing, but it also makes it *really* hard to recover your
bearings if you make a sight-reading mistake.

Notating that figure in a more conventional way, so that the beams/ties show
the 4/4 but the accents indicate the 3+3+3+4+3 makes it a lot more likely that
the music will be read correctly in the first place, and helps prevent any
mistakes from snowballing.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----