Well, in my usual pedestrian mannr, I went with "English Horn," and even got the Staff Style tool to do my bidding, after several tries of course.

Dean

On Jul 6, 2010, at 5:10 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 7:04 PM -0400 7/6/10, arabus...@austin.rr.com wrote:
"Cor anglais" is stuck up? I thought it was simply British, for people who know that the English horn is neither English nor a horn.

French, actually. French for "English horn," which is apparently where the term came from. Which, as you say, is neither English nor a horn. Of course the French horn is not French, either! The most accurate terms are "cor" or "corno" (horn), "cornetto" (small horn), and "cornettino" (little small horn). Kind of like "violoncello" means something like "little big violin."

You expected maybe logic?!!!

John

Aaron J. Rabushka
who would most likely write "oboe/corno inglese"

---- John Howell <john.how...@vt.edu> wrote:
 At 9:10 PM -0700 7/5/10, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
>While we're at it ... I'm writing an orchestral piece that uses both
 >Oboe and English Horn, played by the same person. How are those
>parts labeled, and how is the transposition for the E.H. handled in
 >score and part(s), if you know what I mean?
 >
 >Dean

 I would simply write "Oboe/English Horn," or "Oboe 3/English Horn"
(or substitute Cor Anglais if I were feeling stuck up!). And I'm not
 sure I understand your second question.  In a concert pitch score
 nothing would change.  In a transposed score and in the part, the
transposition would change. Seems simple enough. The only question
 would be where to put the key signature change, but I would put it
 early rather than late, where the change instruction appears, to
 avoid confusion.

 John

 --
 John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
 Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once." Shelly Manne's definition
 of jazz musicians.

John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music
College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:john.how...@vt.edu)

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.

I have opened my soul/To let in the warmth of sound/Now my saving grace
Adrian Estabrook, author

Dean M. Estabrook
http://sites.google.com/site/deanestabrook/