On Tue Jul 6, at TuesdayJul 6 11:36 PM, John Howell wrote:

(For whatever it's worth, I also consider pseudo-French spellings of words like centre and theatre to be stuck up, adopted in England to show that people had studied French!)

The "theatre" spelling, which apart from being standard British spelling, even among the mono-lingual, is also used in Canada and dates back to the 1700's, according to my sources. The word IS a French word (not pseudo at all), borrowed (as many English words are) either with or without the anglicised spelling. Many Canadians, such as myself, cling to the "re" spelling (along with spellings such as "anglicised" instead of the American "anglicized") as much from stubbornness as from patriotism. It's just the way we learned to spell it!

The "er" standardised spelling used by Americans can be traced back to Webster, according to this link, while the "re" spelling became standard in Britain with the earlier Johnson's dictionary. Both were in use before then.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=-re&searchmode=none

And most anglophone Canadians who speak French too are not stuck up, they are just trying to get along with their fellow citizens. Some might take exception to your position.

Christopher