On Sep 9, 2010, at 6:18 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I am putting titles into a piece in Romanian (Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances), and I am having trouble finding some of the proper characters, which mostly seem to be Unicode.

If you'll forgive a bit of pedantry from one who is both a typophile and an phonetician, two corrections...

but I need a capital A with the caret inverted (Character Palette calls it a "caron"), and a T with a cedilla ("comma below" in Character Palette) in another title.

1. If it's Romanian, the symbol you want is surely a breve and not a caron. A caron is angled like an inverted caret; a breve is rounded like a semicircle. Romanian includes use of a breve or a circumflex over an "A", but never a caron. (In general, carons are used only with consonants in European languages. The only use of carons over vowels that I'm familiar with is to represent the falling-rising pattern in tone languages.)

2. There is a difference between a cedilla and a comma below. The cedilla touches the letter, and the comma below does not. For Romanian, comma below (on "s" or "t") is correct. A cedilla is incorrect in Romanian. Use of it is generally accepted anyway, by necessity, because it's much more widely available than the proper comma below, but purists will tell you that it's still wrong.

The S and T cedilla characters were included in the earliest versions of Unicode, whereas the comma below characters didn't get put in until Unicode 3.0 (at the explicit urging of the Romanian delegation). The S cedilla is standard in Turkish. I'm not aware of any language that uses the T cedilla, which makes its inclusion in Unicode 1.1 all the more bizarre. (I've heard it said that the T cedilla was simply a mistake by the Unicode folks, who thought they were doing it for Romanian and just got it wrong, and I wonder if that's really true.)

Here are the characters, which I can easily insert into my Mail program which supports Unicode!

ȚǍ

The T here is correct for Romanian. The A here is incorrect for Romanian.

--

As for your main question, since Finale doesn't support Unicode, the only way you're going to type these characters is if you find a font that maps them to the lower ASCII range. Fifteen years ago, that was not so hard to do. There has always been a demand for those characters, so in the days before Unicode was widespread lots of people created fonts in order to be able to type the way they want to type. But anyone who designs such a font now is going to use Unicode, because it's the standard after all.

I'm afraid I need to shout once again what an outrage it is that Finale STILL doesn't support Unicode. It's not just that this is an extremely common and extremely useful standard that we ought to have access to, but it's now reached the point where, precisely because THE ENTIRE FREAKIN' UNIVERSE USES UNICODE NOW, no one anymore will design fonts that *aren't* Unicode, so it's now even more impossible to get non-standard characters into Finale than it was in 1995. This is so ridiculous. I don't care what code they have to rewrite in Finale, they NEED to have Unicode. Is there any other major software anywhere that doesn't?

I remember from some time in the mid 1990s printing IPA text in Finale files using SIL's IPA fonts, and it worked well for me. Like everyone else, SIL moved on to Unicode long ago, but I see they still offer the old fonts as unsupported "legacy" versions, at <http:// scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php? &item_id=LegacyTTFKmn&highlight=legacy>. Possibly you could find something there that works for you.

As a more practical matter, if you only need a few of them in titling, your best bet is probably to enter them as separate text blocks. That is, type the normal title without diacritics. Then make a separate text block with just a comma, size it to whatever looks right and drag into position. Then find a symbol in one of the music fonts that can pass as a breve and do the same with that.

mdl