G'day
I love Mendelssohn's Lieder ohne Worte, but I'm not referring to them, but
the habit of sheet music arrangers for piano to write out nice pianistic
arrangements, but without the lyrics. Why? They are usually such an
important part of the song, it is disappointing that they are not included.

Is it cheaper to print the song without the words? I realise that some
arrangements are so ornate it would be hard to fit the words to the music,
but even simple arrangements where the melody is left unadorned are so often
printed without this essential part of the song.

Reminds me of the story of a woman meeting Richard Rodgers at a party and
saying "I love your songs. Especially My Favourite Things. What a great
song."
Oscar Hammerstein, standing nearby, says "Actually he didn't write that. HE
wrote
Da da da DA da da Da da da  Da da
**I** wrote 'Raindrops on roses and whisker on kittens...' "

[I know I've got the wrong song, but that's the gist of the story.]

David McKay