Another (kludgy) way to do it is to copy each layer to a different stave then use 'Piano Reduction' with midi note lower than the lowest note (ie '1'). This will merge all to the treble stave then copy all to the stave you want and delete extra staves.

Steve P.

On 26 Jan 2011, at 21:32, Jari Williamsson wrote:

On 2010-12-26 09:01, dc wrote:
If one has 3 or 4-voice chords (same note values) written with one note in each layer, is there any way to merge them all into the same layer?

I think Matthew Hindson asked the same thing just a few days ago. I did a quick plug-in for it this evening.

It's available on the tips site, Download area -> Windows plug-ins.
http://www.finaletips.nu/

The plug-in should be smart enough to detect the layers that are rhythmically different and shouldn't touch those layers. It will merge the notes to the lowest layer where the same rythm is found. (So you can for example merge layers 1+3 and 2+4 if there are 2 different rhythmical structures in the different "layer pairs".)

Let me know it it doesn't work for correctly for you. It was quite quick coding, so there might be some mistakes.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson