Are you sure you're not confusing the light orange of unlinked items with the
only slightly ghosted colour of hidden items? Print a test page (to PDF if you
don't want to waste paper) and see for yourself.

I have set my orange unlinked colour to be darker and more saturated and my
ghost percentage to be much less so as to REALLY let me know things are hidden,
because I often confuse the default colours.

Christopher