On Wed Jan 26, at WednesdayJan 26 11:58 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Close:
>
> E G# A# B# D = E7 (#11 #5)
>
> (Though the actual chord symbol would have the #11 stacked vertically above
> the #5, with both alterations enclosed in tall brackets.)
>
> I've never encountered what you are looking for on the internet but you could
> do worse than to pick up The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine.

E+7(#11) is actually an accurate symbol for Matthew's chord, though like you
Darcy, I don't like the + in chord symbols, since it is prone to
misinterpretation.

I second Darcy's suggestion of the Jazz Theory Book. You'll discover that like
humans and chimpanzees sharing 97% of their DNA, classical and jazz harmony
also have most of their vocabulary in common. We just speak a slightly
different dialect.

Christopher