Almost always above, regardless of stem direction, and above tuplet numbers
and brackets.  The only case I can think of where a fingering would go below
is in a divisi orchestral part with 2 voices on one staff, stems up and
stems down.

But as both a violinist with a lot of experience, and as a composer who has
written a lot of string music (including a violin concerto), I would urge
you to resist adding fingerings under any but very exceptional
circumstances, such as a technical etude, or a tricky special fingering as
written by an expert string player.  Otherwise a fingering is less likely to
help than to be an annoyance.  And guaranteed to be ignored even more than
bowings.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com