This unfortunately is the drawback and I have found no way round it, except
that rather than fight it I go with it and leave the 1st Flute part in the 2nd
Flute part and indicate it as a cue (you can hide the text expression in the
1st part and show in the 2nd). Most doubled/trebled stand players are not going
to complain about having their fellow instrumental parts cued in and it always
facilitates an empty chair being covered.

Dynamics and hairpins can be hidden or shown in individual parts as you need
(control click on the handle to select this from their contextual menus). In
2009 up these can also be assigned to favour the active layer.

I don't use Garritan as a rule but run everything through an external sound
module. I can't see why only one of the flute parts would sound? The playback
should play all layers on every stave unless you have assigned otherwise under
the Instrument list options (Window Menu). Maybe Garritan is more choosy or
limited in this respect.

Jonathan