It seems to have inherited organ and accordion notation. Two staves like a
piano, with expressions above the staff explaining the "registration" (to
borrow an accordion term) or the "stop" (patchname, from organ writing.) You
write the note(s) they have to press down with a dynamic, and any other
controllers that are necessary are notated with the most convenient tool (like
pedals, pitch bend with articulations, vibrato, opening filters and the like.)
Graphic notation is common, too, along with X heads for non-pitched rhythmic
sounds.

There is some discussion as to whether you should notate octave-transposing
sounds in the played octave or the sounding octave, but as long as you are
clear as to which is needed and stay consistent, it should work out either way.

I bet Dennis B-K here on the list has some great suggestions, and examples that
are available on his website.

Christopher