I have always prided myself on being the guy who sight reads every
repeat, every D.S, every D.C., every coda sign, every cut, every time.
 Sometimes this is a challenge - every assistant conductor and every
guest conductor has to cut up and change the repeats on the Strauss
waltz cycles differently (God forbid the audience should ever hear one
all the way through), so those parts have become a museum of erased
road maps.  But it is something I always try to get - every time, and
usually do

But, then there are one, or maybe two charts, orchestra backups to
gospel choir tunes, that come around every few years, that have a D.S.
al coda plus a D.S.S. al coda, or some such screwy nonsense.   I have
never figured them out.

I have f' it up EVERY time we have played it - EVERY time.  Even if I
glance at it ahead of time, and think I know what is supposed to
happen, which is not always easy to do in these kinds of shows,
something about seeing that stupid "D.S.S" when it comes up makes me
forget what I'm supposed to do next.

I think after the last time that I screwed it up (and I'm not the only
one - half the orchestra isn't playing for a bar or so) I looked at it
after the concert, figured the map out and counted 8 bars off copying
it saved.

There are times that repeats are great - a few days ago I went through
a 500 measure dance piece I am finishing, put in some repeats (mostly
in a soporific section that occurs twice) with "play 2nd X, 3rd x,"
etc, which saved 60 bars and got some great page turns in for the
piano player.  And, my main purpose in inserting the repeats was, as
D. F. suggests, to alert the chorus that all the music in those
sections was the same, so they wouldn't panic when handed a 500
measure piece to learn!  So repeats have great value, but that D.S.S,
above, blows.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com